The Club runs a comprehensive junior program that strives to help young golfers achieve their golfing goals. Interested young golfers are encouraged to register and be involved.
On this page:
Aces, currently held monthly, is the introductory component of the Club’s junior program. It is most beneficial for children aged eight years or older who have some knowledge of golf.
Sixty-minute Aces sessions occur on the first Sunday of each month from February to December. Prior registration is necessary via the link(s) below.
After attending three Aces sessions special red caps are awarded, giving participants access to the Par-3 course for free.
The program strives to help juniors achieve golfing goals, establish the Club as a premier junior golf hub in Victoria, nurture a passion for golf and club appreciation, and build an active junior membership base. The Barwon Heads Golf Club’s professionals provide guidance, and selected sessions feature awards and presentations.
Interested participants can access further details through provided links or by contacting the golf shop.
Aces sessions are offered at either 9:00-9:55am or 10:00-10.55am with the aim to fill the early session first. Maximum number per session is 10.
There are a few important things to be aware of:
- Children must be registered beforehand prior to participating.
- Please, no walk-ups. Bookings are essential and can be made online or via the golf shop 03 52556255.
- Participants are encouraged to make a booking to play the Par-3 course with their parents after the session (included in the fee). It’s a good idea to do this when making your Aces booking, or prior to the Aces session starting. Enjoying a round with your children and teaching them the etiquette of golf is an important element of the Aces program.
- The fee is $10 per participant.
- Preference is for children to have their own clubs, but some will be available to borrow. Registered Aces under eight years old must have a parent in attendance to assist.
- Please dress your children appropriately for sun in the warmer months and wind-chill in winter – and take note of the Club’s standard dress code (see below).
As the member-only short game area is used by the Aces, please make sure you’re dressed appropriately while on the course. Take a moment to look at the Club’s dress code. In general terms we require everyone to wear neat attire including a collared shirt/polo (tucked in for boys), tailored trousers/shorts/skirts, white socks (for boys wearing shorts) and closed shoes. You can read all about the dress code on the website.
Other elements of the Club’s junior program allow us to provide a nurturing introduction to the Club and the game of golf while at the same time enabling our juniors to be as good as they would like to be.
- Aces, introduction to golf – monthly
- Term clinics for Barwon Heads Primary School grade five and six students
- Junior Golf Week – January
- Summer and term holiday clinics
- Junior Club Championship – January
- Parent/family member Club events
- Junior Pennant – October/November
- District junior opens and events
- Barwon Sports Academy program
- District teams
- Australian Golf Foundation Girl’s Scholarship Program
If your child is showing a strong interest in moving beyond the introductory component, please talk with one of the professionals in the golf shop to discuss their best options.
NB: Several of the program elements listed above are only available to junior members or children/grandchildren of members. However, non-members can still access tuition programs run by the professionals that can be designed specifically to suit your children.
Being a junior member at The Barwon Heads Golf Club brings many benefits.
From 12-years old, a junior member has most of the benefits of an ordinary member including playing on the main course and access to the Clubhouse, Par-3 course and practice facilities. Juniors are exempt from entrance fees and are charged 10% of the annual subscription making membership a fantastic option for those who would like to get more serious about their golf journey.
Every candidate for membership at the Club must be proposed and seconded by two existing, voting members of at least five years adult membership. If you have any questions about junior membership, please contact the membership coordinator on 5255 6255.
Designed specifically for grade five and six students of the neighbouring Barwon Heads Primary School, the professionals host 60-minute term-based clinics each Wednesday afternoon after school. (Easy to walk up!). The clinic is limited to eight children.
Click here for more information. Please contact the golf shop on (03) 5255 6255 if you have any questions.
Except during the occasional competition or event, the Par-3 course is open to all members of the public.
After the basics of golf have been introduced it is the perfect place for juniors to hone their skills and develop a passion for the game. Payment ($5/child) is to be made at the golf shop (the building opposite the Clubhouse) prior to play. Click here to read more about the Par-3 course