I could not have been prouder of our team who defeated a strong 13th Beach team at home 3.5/1.5 on Sunday. The closeness of the contest was demonstrated by the fact that every match went down the 16th with three matches going down 18. The standard of golf was exceptional and a joy to watch with all matches being played in great spirit.
- Tom Thiele - Hung in really well early to be only one down after his opponent was two under after seven holes. From the point of being four down after 11 Tom played great pennant golf to ultimately halve his match by winning 17 & 18
- Stirling Shier - With three birdies and being three over for 16 holes Stirling was always in control of his match closing it out 3/2
- Donovan Shier - Three down early Donny won three holes in a row to be square after 12. Exceptional recover shots by his opponent on 13, 16, 17 and a lucky break on 18 meant he ultimately lost 2 down
- Bailey Macdonald - After a slow start, two down after two holes, Bailey did really well to be one down after nine holes. A back nine where he was six shots under his handicap meant he finally got the better of an opponent who was also playing very well 2/1
- Campbell Shier - Played very steadily all day and finished his match 2 up after a great par on 18
I have lots of people to thank for a great day at The Barwon Heads Golf Club:
- Our caddies Jason Thiele and Andrew Macdonald who are very important to our less experienced lower order
- Our Professionals who provided free range balls and Marcus's bunker lesson for Bailey prior to his contest which resulted in him very successfully negotiating all four bunker shots during his round
- Our ground staff who presented the course in fantastic condition
- Our clubhouse staff who looked after all players with drinks and fish & chips which were a great hit with even the salad appearing to be eaten
After a great start to the season we are off to East Geelong on Sunday who also had a strong win in round one.