Following last year's Information Sessions, the Clubhouse & Environs Master Plan ('CEMP') Working Group has been progressing the project brief for the Clubhouse and Pro Shop redevelopments.
I am pleased to report that a first draft of the broad design brief has been prepared for the Committee's consideration in March. The draft covers both the Clubhouse and the Pro Shop improvements, and when finalised, will form the basis for tenders from architectural firms.
The content of the draft covers the Club's scope of needs, which have been informed by listening to feedback from members after last year's Member Information Sessions, as well as by the 225 written submissions that the Committee received. Key elements include:
- Retention of the unique atmosphere and character of the Clubhouse
- Single-level Pro Shop at the 1st tee
- Retention of the views down the 1st fairway from the Clubhouse
- Support for modifications to the lower level of the Clubhouse, including improved locker room facilities
- Improvements to the functionality and design of the Links Room to better capture views to the north and west
- Improvements and expansion of facilities for bridge
- Improvements to the western guest car park, in particular separating delivery/trades vehicles from guests
- Support for the inclusion of a gym/Pilates/wellness centre.
The brief also highlights the heritage restrictions on our Clubhouse.
Once refined by the Committee, the final draft of the brief will be available for members to view at reception and on the Club's website. Members will be invited to provide further comment at that time. We anticipate that the Committee's consideration and refinement of the brief, including the opportunity for member feedback, will take 3-6 months. Only when the brief is formally approved at the end of this process will the Committee invite a short list of appropriately experienced architectural firms to tender for the projects.
I would also like to inform you that discussion has been held between Paul Mogford (course architect), Andrew Downes (pre-design architect), Ashley Andrews and Ian Donnelly (the Club's Professionals), Anthony Masters (General Manager), key staff members and the CEMP Working Group regarding the area between the 18th green, front circle car park and the 1st tee. This very busy area involves cars, golfers, buggies, golf carts, pedestrians and outside traffic and will be part of an overall scheme to enhance member safety and encourage greater utilisation of the Pro Shop before and after golf.
Further member updates will be posted as this process develops.